1. W Ellington Felton - Friendly Lover
2. Kettel - Prairieplant
3. Hiroki Mizukami - Human Race (Original Instrumental Version)
4. Fineprint - Ashby
6. Amp Fiddler - Scared
[Wall of Sound/Creative Vibes]
7. Ohio Players - Pride & Vanity
9. Library Vultures - Yes Yes Yeah
10. Jaylib - The Mission (Stringed Out Mix)
[Stones Throw/Creative Vibes]
11. Shin-Ski feat Dagha - Elements
12. Fineprint - Puerto Rico
13. Q-Tip - Work it Out
14. The Foundation Band - Jam Session (I Probably Should Not Have)
15. Keyshia Cole feat Missy Elliott & Lil Kim - Let it Go
16. Angie Stone - Baby
17. Cleo - Got Me Feelin Like This
18. La Sonora Poncena & Elephant Man - Killer in Tunisia (Grubby Latin Remix)
19. Elizabeth Shepherd Trio - Midnight Sun
20. John Coltrane - I Want to Talk About You
21. Frederik Kronkvist - Straight to the Point
22. Kahil El'Zabar's Infinity Orchestra - Transmigration
23. Kahil El'Zabar's Infinity Orchestra - Return of the Lost Tribe
24. Polyversal Souls - Sad Nile
25. Mellow Madness - Save the Youth (Kenny Dope Mix)
26. Mr Day - Soul on Wax (Original Edit)
27. Jazz Thieves - Feelin Easy
Jazz is back. It's harder to find the quality pieces in new jazz these days but it's certainly nice when you do. There was the superb Max Grunhard Quintet EP for Impossible Art last week. This week it was the new albums from Frederik Kronkvist and Kahil El'Zabar's Infinity Orchestra, both worth seeking out for quite a few pieces. I'll try to have another attempt at playing the magnificent 'Transmigration' in full on a future Stylin. But there's nothing like hearing the great John Coltrane to make you forget that any other music exists. A clutch of his legendary Newport live recordings has just been rereleased and remastered including a great 17-minute version of 'My Favorite Things'.
Trainspotters' Corner is back too. The now occasional Stylin segment had to make a return once I worked out what Morgan Zarate was chopping up (brutally) in his recent collab with Amp Fiddler. Sure sounds nice to be listening to some Ohio Players again.
Other notables: latin hip hop from Fineprint, new Q-Tip, another Poets of Rhythm side-project with Polyversal Souls, a mad blend putting Elephant Man over 'Night in Tunisia', the very Amerie/Rich Harrison-influenced Cleo, cinematic melodies from Kettel and some beautiful d&b with the Jazz Thieves.
Speaking of drum & bass, next week my guest will be Marcus Intalex of MIST/Mist:i:cal/Soul:r fame.
Stylin broadcasts live each Friday on Australia's best known community station, 3RRR-FM Melbourne.
PO Box 1055
Fitzroy North VIC 3068